The Chrome bookmark manager is the pits. Sorry for such harsh language, but I’ve got to be truthful here. Anyway, I became sick of my disorderly bookmarks and came up with a way around Chrome’s management.
1. Get Firefox. I switched from FF to Chrome, so I always have the app around.
2. First get the XMarks extension on both FF and Chrome
3. Sort away on the Firefox Bookmark manager.
4. Click synchronize on FF’s Xmarks
5. Click synchronize on Chrome’s Xmarks
6. There you go – order is restored.
Is this stupid? Yes. Would I like GC to handle this better? Yep. Is this silly workaround worth it? Only if you’re a “Sort by name” freak like me.